Friday 21 June 2013

Book Review #17: Swimming Through Clouds

I live in the in between. Between what if and what is. It’s how I manage. It’s the only way I know. Everyone has their way. This is mine.

When high school, cell phone disruption forces a classroom ban, the words on a Post-it note spark a sticky romance between two unlikely friends. Transfer student Talia Vanderbilt has one goal at her new school: to blend in with the walls. Lagan Desai, basketball captain and mathlete, would do just about anything to befriend the new girl. One Post-it note at a time, Lagan persuades Talia to peel back her heart, slowly revealing her treasure chest of pain—an absent mother, a bedridden brother, and an abusive father. In a world where hurt is inevitable, the two teens search for a safe place to weather the storms of life. Together.
4/5 Stars 

When I started reading this book I had no expectations, mostly because I had never read anything from Rajdeep Paulus before and the book is quite different from what I usually read, but I was excited to start on it nonetheless. And I did not regret it.

The book shows you bit by bit how Talia's life is, and that is far from perfect. You get to peel the layers off as she shows Lagan small bits of herself and as she juggles her life to be kept in balance, as far as possible. We get introduced to her brother who has at least the amount of problems Talia has in keeping his life together and then we have Talia's father. A Dutch South-African man, who is far from what he appears to be. The great impact he has on Talia's and her brother's life and the impact he had on their mother's life is revealed word by word, chapter by chapter.

Like I said, I wasn't too sure about the book, because it is totally different from what I usually read, but it was definately a very enjoyable read. Mostly a very emotional read actually. It deals with family problems beyond the point you would never wish anyone, really not even your biggest foe, in life, but sadly do happen in certain ways to people.

It has been a couple of days now since I've finished the book, but I'm still quite overthrown by it, but don't want to spoil the immense intense parts in the book, because that is what it makes it so truly fascinating. So if it does sound like your type of book, do get a copy of the e-book!

1 comment:

  1. I love the title and cover of this! <3 Not sure I'm up for such an emotional read right now. I just finished a book that really took a toll on me so I need a break, haha. But it does sound like something I'd like to read in the future!

    ReplyDelete