Tuesday 29 January 2013

Book Review #10: My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century

On the precipice of her sixteenth birthday, the last thing lone wolf Cat Crawford wants is an extravagant gala thrown by her bubbly stepmother and well-meaning father. So even though Cat knows the family"s trip to Florence, Italy, is a peace offering, she embraces the magical city and all it offers. But when her curiosity leads her to an unusual gypsy tent, she exits . . . right into Renaissance Firenze.

Thrust into the sixteenth century armed with only a backpack full of contraband future items, Cat joins up with her ancestors, the sweet Alessandra and protective Cipriano, and soon falls for the gorgeous aspiring artist Lorenzo. But when the much-older Niccolo starts sniffing around, Cat realizes that an unwanted birthday party is nothing compared to an unwanted suitor full of creeptastic amore. Can she find her way back to modern times before her Italian adventure turns into an Italian forever?
I don't really know why I haven't reviewed this book yet as I finished it almost two months ago and absolutely adored it to pieces. Anyway, here we go.

The fact that this book takes place in Renaissance Italy and then actually Firenze (Florence) of all cities is an absolutely plus already. I adore Italy and definately the "old Italy" does it very well with me in books. Especially these kind of books where you find those old historical elements, but still in an easy to read book.

The book is an easy read that shows a lot of elements on both the 21st century and the Renaissance Italy. The combination of it is just absolutely great as you become so aware of so many elements of this century that make absolutely no sense back then. Especially the way of talking is used in an amazingly good way.

Besides the fact it is a nice Romantic YA book, it also has a breath taking ending. You could see some of it coming, let's say about the last chapter some things are logical from the beginning of the book, but then that last little line of the book...Well, it definately makes you craving for the second book 'A tale of Two Centuries' which unfortnately doesn't come out until August 2013. I have to say, I at least cannot wait.

3 comments:

  1. Even though your review is very positive, I don't think I'll read this book. I just don't think it's my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it has to be your kind of book to like it, otherwise it might be too lighthearted and a bit cheesy I guess? I don't know if you read the 'Stravaganza Serie'? It has a bit of connection to those books

      Delete
  2. I loved this book! Lovely review, exactly how I felt about it!

    ReplyDelete